All in one Generation

Was talking to my cousin (mother of 2) when she was in India recently. We were reflecting on how our group of cousins behaved so differently, though we are all part of the same generation. And no, we weren't doing any behavioral analysis, though I know my cousin is quite competent at that, given her extensive experience in psychiatry (how I wish I had that kind of a different profile, sometimes, life is just so unfair :) ).

My youngest cousin is 17 now and she just cannot stop texting her friends on her mobile phone. This applies to those in the age group of 17-20, I guess. I got myself a mobile phone (we just used to call it 'cell' those days, how cheap) and still I remember, how we used to gape at anyone who bought a new cell in college. And my first model was 1100, the brick-like one, yes! And no, I was no SMSer. Dont know why I never took to SMSing that much, one major reason was obviously, I was using a BSNL prepaid service (that did not have free SMSs) and Amma wouldn't let me shift to any other service, being the public sector person that she is! And moreover, I wasn't even earning at that time! Damn! I couldn't do what I wanted to.

My cousins who are older than me (in the 28-31 age group, we are quite a young family), had not even heard of the mobile phone. Internet was a luxury; guys had posters of Sonali Bendre on their almirahs while girls had those of Ajay Jadeja. (Yes Madhu, I remember!). And the only way to communicate with your latest crush from school or college was to hush-hush on the landline phone, :( what a pain it must have been. Even cordlesses were just catching up then!

And finally us! There are 3 of us in the same age-group in the family. One used to be an SMS maniac but soon got out of it, once she turned 22! The other 2 of us were so non-tech savvy, we had the most deglamorised phones on earth. What did we do? Yes, orkut was the rage of our age. Making friends on orkut and writing and getting testimonials. Sounds so cheesy now, when I think of it all! And yes, all 3 of us have blogs. And one of us, me (Gee..) now tweets. See, am the most vetti of all.

So, summarising (thanks for reading all this), ... na. bad idea. I better stop rambling now... :) Times change. Let's see what my cousins' kids get into. :)

And yes, I just cant help feeling so grown up now, (euphemism for 'old')

Comments

aparna said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
aparna said…
YES! I am the till-22 who used to text all the time, but I had a deglamorized phone too.

But I was a huge phone hoarder too. I used reduce the ringing sound of the black cordless and the one in the living room after everyone went to sleep and make my friends call me on it and be on phone all night.
@manju:
hehe....thats some news di! :)
dood.."sonali bendre" ????? nonsense ...i was dedicating my life to microprocessors and world of algorithms, and u accuse me of leching at bendre for gods sake...

tch tch...
Vinay Sekhar said…
"And the only way to communicate with your latest crush from school or college was to hush-hush on the landline phone, :( what a pain it must have been." - Question) Did you ever have a crush in school/college? ;)
@vinay:
How mean! you're not going to get more specific responses here, for certain reasons...;)
Sekhar said…
The brick-phone was Nokia 3300.1100 is a chocolate bar phone with an attached torch.
Jyo said…
Ya and I feel so technologically impaired too! My 17-yr old cousin was on facebook before me and had a cell phone at fifteen :D
@ Jyothsni:

I Know! and even today, am a slow messager and i get such a complex when i see someone in college texting away furiously :)
PNA said…
It was phones, then to orkut-youtube, facebook n now twitter... in a matter of years! Good thing that the blog habit has remained. I was a big mobile n orkut person until a few months back, Now I don't realise where my phone is and my orkut shows no updates!! strange how tastes change:)))
@PNA:

very true... esplly about orkut becoming almost a no-show now! and yeah, twitter.. is the in-thing now ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Schooling at Vikaasa!

My Voices - Ragi Tandhira ....

Bangalore - Is it overhyped?!