Schooling at Vikaasa!


Vikaasa, - the best place on earth, perhaps next to home. My memories of my school always offer deep solace whenever I'm down and help me move ahead in life. I would always love to go back to school and bask in the warmth of its campus.




The coolest thing about school was that we always worked as a family and were extremely passionate about anything associated with the school.

I made some really nice friends at school and would always like to keep in touch with anyone even remotely associated with my school.


Our annual trips to Ambas vikaasa are just unforgettable. I've been to ambas fiesta every yeat right from Class 4 till Class 10. The Madura Club at Ambas is just fabulous. The otherwise sober Ambas(amudram) used to wear a festive look for 3 days and one might even mistake it for a school in Chennai. Our secret night meetings at the hallowed wooden corridors, paste(ing) 'on the face' sessions at night, ragging juniors(at school, haha!)...what not - We've had a ball at Ambas.



I still remember the night Prabhu(dunno what happened to him now!) was narrating a ghost story with all us hanging on to his words, sitting at close proximity to a gorge just next to the school..and how all of us ran back to our dorms when the ghost finally made its appearance.







Vikaasa vs. TVS


Writing about school, I have to mention the regular confrontations between Vikaasa and TVS Lakshmi in the city of Madurai. Whatever be it, a cultural festival or a sports meet, we were always at loggerheads. However, I admit that today, the brandname of TVS has grown to such a stature that when I was in college and told people that I'm from Madurai, they would immediately pop up this question "Of course u're from TVS rite?".... DISGUSTING....(I would think!)




CULTURALS


YOUTH FESTIVAL - wow, how many memories that brings to my mind!! Being the most popular cultural event in the temple city, we always looked forward to this 2-day event in November. We got to organize this fest in Class XI and we did do a great job. We had to roll up our sleeves, put on our marketing hats to get sponsors( we used to cut classes that way!) The 2 main events were VIKAASA LIVE and LIGHT MUSIC.



Our good old seniors were always invited to adjudge these events and vikaasa madurai would always emerge winners and retain the rolling shield (heard things have changed now though!) My school didn't have a regular canteen then and it would have a temporary one only for these 2 days. FUN FUN FUN all the way!!..


Like the song goes,


THOSE WERE THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!



Comments

Arun Madas said…
You just brought back my college memories.. the Apogee, OASIS, BOSM in BITS are just unstoppable memories for me... Thnx.. hopefull i will write about bits soon..
@ arun:
exactly, be it any school or college, inter-school competitions are just unfogettable and filled with wonderful experiences rite?... making new frens, etc. etc...... those days are never gonna be back......
Deekshanya said…
Hey
I was at Vikaasa Madurai too! Belonged to thebatch of 1995 passout (ICSE). What abt you?
@ deekshanya:
hey i passed out in 2000(ICSE) and 2002(HSC)
Heyy Ganesh..Ur post bought me great memories...The youth festivals.. fiesta's ..Duke of Edinburgh.. night camps..shuttle matches .. :) Bet we cudn't ask for more !!
Unknown said…
hey ganesh..
ya man .. very true .. vikaasa was indeed heaven on earth and irreplacable from our memories.your entries on ambas fiesta .. LOL .. what fun we had .. although i ve been there only once.Madura Club there was amazing.. i was reading a blog entry by one deekshanya (also posted on your blog) on the KG days at Vikaasa .. and a description of vikaasa pasumalai.. brought tears to my eyes.. but the the sad state of it now brought in the opposite emotion .. u do know that now at vikaasa Boys are not supposed to talk to Girls.(citation required). ??? Replicating the Sathyabhama Model.. :P.. TVS had a great expansion, and always got busted at LOSA and youthfestival as long as your batch was there.. man the fights for the quizzes,debates , and not to mention JAM!!! shit we really had fun.. now all that we can do is sit and hope that Vikaasa will rise out of the Ashes and fly high again..
@chemboy:

may I know who you are?.. :)
Unknown said…
Akshay da paavi.. sundar s next batch and one batch before your sisters.. I cant believe you forgot.. not that i m unforgettable or anything.. but still .. ok we did some LM and i also used to play the mridangam.. Parur Ganesan s house.. etc etc ..
@akshay:

of course I remember you and all that you've said: but how was i supposed to identify you from 'chemboy'?..:)and ur google profile dint have much details either.
Oh..Thanks for the jam and LOSA references.. I have been both to Vikaasa and TVS from my 8th std-1981.

Just about the changes- Vikaasa is a little bit down.
@Panza:

Were you there to organize events as well? I passed out in 2002 ;) I Know, the school may be down now, but yeah, hope it rises back again, just as before!

Popular posts from this blog

My Voices - Ragi Tandhira ....

Bangalore - Is it overhyped?!